Friday 19 September 2014

Four hours later...

The midwife team returned and stitched up the tear caused at delivery. As it was the end of their shift they started work straight after injecting the anaesthetic >.< They put me back on the gas at least, and this time I got to experience the 'high' that you get. I just focused on that blissful detachment as much as I could until the anaesthetic took hold. I asked how many stitches I had so I could compare 'war wounds', but apparently as it was a continuous thread it just counted as one. Bah, I felt that needle go in and out at least a dozen times!

Poor mum was about ready to pass out with exhaustion, and was only hindered from sleeping by the lack of available surface. Finally I got moved to the post delivery ward. Mum returned home, and I put my fingers in front of my newborn's nose in the cot cart so I could feel her breathing as I slept. I woke a couple of hours later to find the fingers of her hands tightly wrapped around mine.


The room had another occupant, so I didn't want to stir too much, but it was enough to lie there in the brightening day light and gaze at the new arrival.

No comments:

Post a Comment